|Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time
||[Jan. 29th, 2012|05:18 pm]
In a classic case of “jeez, this worked better in my head,” I’m having a tad of trouble stitching the latest quilt together. It’s a spool block pattern with sashing. Now, in general I have trouble with the whole concept of which seams to sew in which order to make sure that everything nests together nicely. It takes a lot of thought and diagramming and writing things out in order to not get confused and wind up whimpering in a pile of blocks, seams going every which way.
But this pattern is so simple. I thought, well, I’ll just sew one border rectangle to each square to get a jump on the borders. If I hadn’t done that, I could be running merrily along sewing the blocks in rows and then adding rows of sashing, and everything would be nicely nesting and locking up and easy to press flat. But nooo. No, the trick is that the blocks are set turned every other one. So the presewn sashing doesn’t always match up neatly. And I started sewing the rows together without taking a hard look at it first, so the first few rows were a disaster. Now that I am committed, I’ve had to figure out how to put the sashing on so that only a few seam allowances have to be clipped.
So, not quite such a bad idea as when I got the spider out of my iron, but still not good. Next time I’ll take a little longer to figure out the seam order, no matter how confused it makes me. Then sewing the blocks together will be a lot more fun.
Go check out what everyone else is wrestling with at Judy Laquidara’s Design Wall Monday!