Log in

No account? Create an account
2.. whoops 3 am and I'm awake - catlinye_maker [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

2.. whoops 3 am and I'm awake [Nov. 29th, 2005|04:12 am]
[Tags|, ]

Happens at times like these..

Yesterday, now, we had to put Jacqueline to sleep. She had a tumor in her forehead that gradually ate up all of her life. She was a wonderful cat, my little chocolate brown princess, with the softest coat I've ever petted. We were able to keep her happy if not healthy for almost eighteen years. I'm crying now and will again, but I think we didn't wait too long or act too soon. Up until this past week she'd been doing ok, more good days than bad, but this week the purrs got harder and harder to elicit, and finally it was time to say goodbye.

Our vet is wonderful, and she was very kind to us and gentle with Jacquelline. We brought her body home and buried her near the graves of our other cats that have passed. I hope she's with them now, snuggling and getting groomed and purring, getting pets from our human loved ones who have passed on. It was funny; the tumor distorted her forehead horribly, but all this afternoon after she passed I kept seeing her as she was in her prime. She loved having her chin scritched, so much that she'd press her head down on your fingers as you scratched, hard enough that the petting rattled her teeth together, purring madly all the while. She liked to be held, front paws on the right shoulder, left hand under the back legs. No turning the cat over to rub her tummy! (Way too undignified.) But she'd tilt her head back, somewhat insistently, so that you could scritch her chin, thank you very much. That's how I'll remember her.

Rufus just came back to my lap, hopped up and started to purr. He doesn't usually stay in the lap while I'm typing, but now he's got his forehead pressed to my wrist looking for head scritches. Or maybe giving me some comfort.

We went to bed early, and I woke up at 2 and gave up on getting back to sleep at 2:30. I'm almost done with the current stage of the double wedding ring quilt I'm working on. It's a long project, first started in the summer of 2004. The first stage was prep, then paper-piecing the arcs together, hand sewing the stars for the ring intersections, and now sewing the arcs to the football shapes. The arcs are all labeled by row and column. They each have to be marked: I made sewing marks on the paper patterns that get transferred to the fabric. I put a pin through the dot on the paper and use a silver pencil to mark the fabric at that spot at intersections and the center of each arc. Then the paper's torn away (except for the label section that gets pinned back on) and the two arcs are sewn to the "football" (marquise shape? spindle shape? football seems so.. inelegant.) There's two rows left to mark and tear (out of 15 total) and one row that's half-sewn (one arc attached) so I'm almost done. Which, since I can't sleep, results in getting up and coming downstairs to mark pattern pieces, and then getting sidetracked posting in LJ..

Back to the quilt. I sure hope the next stage goes a little faster.

[User Picture]From: aramintamd
2005-11-30 06:05 pm (UTC)
I feel for you, babe. It has been an ugly month on a whole bunch of fronts, and I'm glad to show it the door today. I hope the rest of your holiday season improves some. Will you be down for any of the local parties? (I am assuming, possibly incorrectly, that BB will have a 12th Night party this year too, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.) We still have your present from the last time (it's two years old, now, I think).

(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: catlinye_maker
2005-11-30 11:02 pm (UTC)


LOL! I don't think we'll be down, maybe for the Twelfth night party but maybe not. It's been a rough year and the tax office has to be up and running Jan 2nd. No invites as yet to earlier parties, and Neil and Cindy are moving over the next few weekends and we have to go down to help them.

Thanks for the verbal hug, it has been a tough month. Hugs right back atcha, I think you could use them too.

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: flaviarassen
2006-01-12 05:05 am (UTC)
I am so glad you were able to bring her home. When it came time for our cat, Samantha, to go (hyperthyroidism), our vets was closed, and he told us to bring her by during evening hours. 2 hours later. The Hubby (tm) - possibly more to keep from having to watch the cat suffer anymore - went out to dig a hole in the "garden (believe me, it needs the quotes)." In January. Yes, the ground was frozen. After her brave, brave death, we had to leave her body with the vets. Intellectually, I know what he did with it; emotionally, there's a nicer alternative because I didn't find out for sure.
(Reply) (Thread)