|Pink Petals finished!
||[Apr. 16th, 2010|05:52 pm]
Twin baby quilts made for twin girls who were born on the 14th of this month (click to embiggen):
The first baby quilt was finished on Sunday; the second was basted, quilted, and bound in a marathon this week in order to be finished by today for gifting before we leave the area. The mother and father to be came out to visit us on Sunday so I was able to show them progress to date; the twins were born on Wednesday (everyone's healthy and happy, yay!) We turned the quilts over to the dad this afternoon and I went for a nap -- lots of late nights in the rush this week. Washing them was a nerve wracking experience as always, but they came out very nice. Ref previous entries, both are cat approved so a quick wash was a must!
I am very happy with the quilting which is rough if you look closely, but looks fine at a distance. I learned a ton about machine quilting. Among other things, pinning the paper design to the quilt and stitching through it works great, and it works better if you pin baste the design in place rather than pin basting and then pinning the paper over top. The number of safety pins I ran over in areas where I thought I'd removed all the pins first was truly impressive. Only one needle was broken but the wire cutters came out a time or two to remove safety pins that were sewn over. I need more safety pins for this method. And anything larger than this size quilt wouldn't be possible for me on the Bernina. I know lots of excellent quilters who say there is no problem with even larger quilts on a standard sewing machine, but clearly they are more expert than I because that was about all the fabric I could wrestle through the machine. My shoulders were in rough shape on the last day; the quilting setup isn't ideal with the machine set on a standard table.
It was a fun project!