||[Jan. 11th, 2010|08:36 am]
Now that we’re back in the RV, my design wall is whatever flat surface I can find. In this case, the back of one of the recliners in the ‘living room’ section of the RV. While J and MIL were on their fishing trip, I took advantage of the gorgeous light to test and retest the greens for the oak leaves in the outer wreath. I thought that I had made all those decisions already, but the one leaf that had been attached for sewing was making me unhappy. So it came off and out came all the fabrics again and the snippers went snicker-snak and here is the result.
The problem seems to have been that there are two color families of dark green in the stash, one tending blue, the other yellow. I thought that I’d have to use one or the other, and was not satisfied with either. The bluish greens made the acorns stand out nicely, but just weren’t quite right. The yellowish greens were righter, as it were, but the acorns faded in a little. The solution appears to be to use both colors, eliminating even the medium greens and sticking strictly to darker colors. I like what’s there and though I am waffling about one of the fabrics (the one with the beige dots, lower right outside) the rest of them will probably stay, more or less as placed here.
The acorns are mostly done. All of the caps have been basted down by now and they’re getting sewn on between doing touristy stuff (ref. earlier entries) and blogging and chores. Next, oak leaves galore!
This post is made possible by Judy Laquidara’s Design Wall Monday, without which this project would be languishing. Thanks again, Judy! Visit Design Wall Monday to see what a bunch of talented quilters have been working on this week.