|Done, done, done!
||[Jun. 3rd, 2006|11:18 am]
It's done! It's done! I finished piecing my sister's double wedding ring! And I won't start on the quilting until fall, most likely.
It took me a while to get joyful about finishing this, which is usually the way it is with major projects. You get to a point towards the end where it's just slogging away, and when you finally finish, it's as if you've been pushing against a wall for so long that you almost fall when the pressure is gone.
I wrapped it up at a quilting retreat run by the B.A.S. that I attended in early May. The ladies there were very complimentary about it, and they took some pictures, which were sent to the B.A.S. newsletter. Below is the writeup that I sent in response to an email from the newsletter editor asking for some info about the quilt.
Some thoughts on the double wedding ring:
I drafted the pattern so that the arcs would overlap, giving a sense of movement. On staring at the pattern draft for a while, it became clear that a small eight-pointed star would fit perfectly into the ring intersections. The easiest way to ensure that the rings came out round was paper-piecing, so the arcs were paper-pieced. The stars are hand-pieced, after my first attempt at machine sewing a star produced a tiny colorful yarmulke. After sewing the rings together (leaving an opening at the intersections) the stars were reverse appliquéd into the openings.
This quilt was started in summer of 2004, worked off and on with long breaks, and finished (piecing) at the retreat in May 2006. It's a king-sized quilt, intended for my sister and her husband for Christmas (I'm not specifying the year!) The next step is to figure out how it should be quilted, and start on that stage. Breaking the project down into stages has made it much easier to tackle.
The biggest challenge on this quilt (so far) was the background. It was initially intended to have a white background (mistake!) As you can well imagine, it looked horrible on white. Off-white was ok, but blah. On a whim I grabbed a 1/2 yard scrap of navy blue from my stash and tried that. It was perfect; the colors of the rings sang against the blue. Now to buy enough for the background (how hard can it be, it's just navy.) Twelve quilt shops, two internet searches, and three counties later, I finally (on the verge of giving up) found a match for that navy blue scrap.
Hope this is helpful! I'm honored to think that my quilt will be in the BAS newsletter.