?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Gratitudes - catlinye_maker [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
catlinye_maker

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Gratitudes [Nov. 2nd, 2009|03:06 pm]
catlinye_maker
[Tags|, ]

I am grateful for my snuggly cat, who doesn't mind when I hold him for a peaceful moment and breath into his fur.

I am grateful I fixed the iron.

But mostly..  I am grateful no one (I hope!) SAW me fix the iron.  :P

How so, say you?  Well.  You know how you get good ideas and about midway through the execution it occurs to you that maybe you should have thought it through a little more?  I was working on cutting pieces for a quilt, ironing the fabric I am using as I go, when I noticed something dark in the iron's water reservoir.  On closer examination, it turned out to be a drowned BUG!  (All together now, EeewWW!)  I turned off the iron and left it to cool.  DH wanted to take the base apart, but that needed special star wrenches that we don't have, and I wasn't sure it would help, anyway, based on where the reservoir was.  I tried filling and emptying several times, with no luck.  The water hole is small, and the bug was big!  Eventually I figured out I could pry off the front part of the plastic housing.  Initially I was worried about damaging my expensive iron, until I realized that there was no way I was going to use it as an iron with a bug inside, so it really had zero value as it was.

A little prying, and it came free with a POP!  Nothing looked broken, and the water opening, where the spout from the plastic housing had snugged into the base, was considerably bigger than it had been.  Plenty of room for ex-bugs to exit.  However some more experimentation with filling and emptying left the bug merely washing around near the surface, hanging up on the protrusions inside the reservoir.  With gentle shaking, I was able to swirl it close to the opening but not out, and not close enough to pick out with a wire (tried fishing with some fine wire, no luck.)

But the best movement of the bug in the water was when I whipped the iron around in a short arc; centrifugal force moved it from one end of the reservoir to the other.  "Aha!" thought I, having my semi-brilliant moment, "I bet if I take it outside and swing it around, centrifugal force will wash that bug right past those obstructions and right up next to the opening of the reservoir, from whence I can easily pluck it out."

I trotted outside, iron in hand, and commenced whirling around, holding the iron out sideways.  About the time I  accidentally stepped off the path, I began to wonder if this was really such a good idea, and how many twirls did it take until you were too dizzy to stand.  The answer was: fewer twirls than I had done.  I stopped whirling (I tried to stop whirling) and with a few extra involuntary rotations settled gently onto the grass.  Laughing and waiting for things to stop going round and round, I held out the iron and upended it, draining it one more time before shakily getting up and going inside.

It worked like a charm; the bug (a spider as it turned out) was right in the tip of the reservoir, easily reached with a small forceps from the opening.  I ran some dilute bleach into the reservoir and washed it out with clean water, then reassembled and tested the now pest-free iron.  Works like a champ.
linkReply